American football has only been around since the 1860s, which makes it a relatively young sport, but despite its relatively recent history, it’s one of the most-loved and most-played games!
Football team names can be cool, funny, creative, or serious. Our list features a range of options to suit any football team from corny-but-hilarious puns to intimidating mascots.
A mascot-based name may be the way to go if you want your team to be around for a long time — the Arizona Cardinals, named after the bird, are the oldest continuously-playing team, competing since 1898!
If you don’t find the perfect option on our list or just want to create your own football team name, we also share some tips to help your creativity flow.
The Fight Force
reference to George Gipp, Notre Dame’s first Walter Camp All-American player
No Punt Intended
a play on the word “gridiron”
The Brut Brigade
Grid of Iron
a play on the word “gridiron”
The Field Gulls
a play on the phrase “pun intended”
The Pass Rushers
Red Dog Diablos
The North Forty
The Lethal Goalers
Drop Kick Kids
Dark Horse Legacy
The Tail Greats
Big Punts Bunch
Case in Punt
a play on the phrase “case in point”
Grit & Gusto
Football Team Name Generator
How to Create a Good Football Team Name
Creating the perfect football team name can be a challenge; you’ll want to find something that reflects your team’s vibe and sounds good when pitted against competing teams.
If none of the options on our list above are exactly right for you, keep the following tips in mind and brainstorm more ideas with your team:
- Get inspiration from your favorite professional teams. You won’t want to create a team name identical to your favorite pro team, but you can look up synonyms for your favorite team’s name, choose something that shares a similar meaning, or pick something that sounds similar. For example, if you like the Patriots, you might choose a similar word like “Commandos,” “Guardians,” or “Defenders.”
- Get inspiration from your favorite professional player. If there’s a pro football player that your entire team admires, you can use their first name, last name, nickname, or number to influence your team name. Use the player’s actual name in your team name (for example, Payton’s Bears, a nod to Chicago Bears hall-of-famer Walter Payton) or choose something more abstract like “The 34s.”
- Choose a team name completely unrelated to football, and perhaps add a football-related word to it. There’s no rule stating that your team name must be directly related to the sport. Choose a name that has nothing to do with football, like a favorite animal mascot, or combine a non-football word with a game term. For example, if your team loves beer, you can add a football term like “blitz” to it, and your new team name will be Beer Blitz. Think outside the box, and you’ll soon have an inventive and unique football team name like no other!
- Dr. Odd, "Kids Football Team Names - 2022"
- Custom Ink, "Football Team Names"