Modern step dancing first emerged in the early 1900s, but its roots run as far back as the 1500s.
Formed over centuries, step dancing combines the traditions of African percussive dances like juba with the skills of competitive drill teams and marching bands.
Stepping truly developed into the art form we know today when African-American sororities and fraternities began using dance teams as a way to connect with and support each other.
Below, we have more than 40 step team name ideas. Below the list, we also provide tips to help you create your own names!
The Hit Squad
short for “gentlemen”
a play on “unity”
Step Team Name Generator
How to Create Your Own Step Team Names
Your step team might want to create a name that’s unique, personal, and reflects its personality perfectly.
Create your own step team names with the following tips:
- Choose strong descriptors. Top-ranked teams in the National Step League have names like “Rams of Destruction,” “Catastrophic” and “Majestic Ambush.” While your name doesn’t necessarily need to be intimidating, choosing descriptors like “Elite” and “Royal” or active words like “Ambush” can be perfect for step teams with powerful performances.
- End your name with “Steppers,” “Steps,” or “Squad.” By using one of these words to end your name, you’re already on track to create something great — you just need to add a word or two in front! Choose something inspired by your city (e.g., “Motown Steps”) or just a phrase that represents your team well (e.g., “Rhythm Squad”).
- Keep it appropriate. Step teams are often associated with or perform at schools, so keep your audience in mind when choosing your name. In general, even community step teams of adult dancers prefer to keep their names free of profanity or other harsh words.
- WorthStart, "Dance Team Names: 400+ Best Dancer Names and Dance Names"
- Group Team Names, "480+ Good Dance Team Names"
- Funny Team Names, "300+ Dance Team Names"