Support from close friends, teams, or community organizations is shown to improve mental health and overall well-being for those in the LGBTQ+ community.
In professional settings, LGBTQ+ organizations can help you find jobs, mentors, networking opportunities, and referrals.
With 80% of gay and lesbian youth reporting that they experience social isolation, dedicated teams and LGBTQ+ groups can also provide the opportunity to feel comfort and acceptance in a social setting.
Whether you’re creating an LGBTQ+ group at your school/college or naming a community organization, it’s essential to choose a name that sets the right tone for your group.
Some group names should be serious, while others can be funny or sarcastic — it all depends on your group’s purpose and the preferences of your members.
See our list of LGBTQ+ group name ideas below or scroll past the list for our name generator and tips on creating your own ideas.
Loud & Queer
The Proud Collective
reference to the rainbow or could stand for something like People Respecting Individuality (and) Sexuality (in) Medicine
Sexuality and Gender Equality
Sexuality Advocacy for Everyone
Helping to Educate Regarding Orientation
Shades of Love
Gender (and) Sexuality Alliance or Gender (and) Sexuality Awareness
a safe space
political action group supporting LGBTQ+ causes
The Furious Drag Queens
reference to the Greek poet
Queers & Allies
Different and Proud
Gender (and) Sexuality Resource Group
The Gender Revolutionaries
Definitions Not Applicable
Sexuality and Gender Alliance (SAGA)
Pride and Freedom
All the Colors
The Love Warriors
[School/Work Name] for Sexual Identity
[School/Work Name] Queers
The Proud Place
Out, Questioning, Straight
Everyone Is Welcome
Reading the Rainbow
LGBTQ+ book club
The Colorful Life
The Rainbow Room
The Freely United
Diverse Genders and Sexualities
Gender and Sexuality Diversity
Gender and Sexual Minorities
Two Spirit Circle
Love is Love League
The Queer Quorum
The Queer Coalition
LGBTQ+ Group Name Generator
How to Create a Good LGBTQ+ Group Name
Keep the following tips in mind when creating your group name:
- Make sure your group name reflects its members. LGBTQ+ groups are often inclusive of a variety of gender identities, but not always. Be as specific as necessary; if your group welcomes all identities, use basic phrases like “Gender and Sexuality” or “LGBTQ+. If your group is specifically for people who identify as “Non-Binary,” for example, use that term in your name to make it clear. If you need some ideas of words you should or shouldn’t use, see the glossaries from The Trevor Project and the Human Rights Campaign.
- Use terminology carefully. The LGBTQ+ community is diverse, and opinions within your group may differ regarding the use of some terminology, like “queer.” Be sure to get input from your group members to figure out what they’re comfortable with and make sure your group name doesn’t alienate anyone.
- Consider your tone. Similar to the previous tip, you’ll want to make sure that your group name isn’t offensive to anyone in the group. If you are naming an advocacy group, in particular, your name must reflect your group’s purpose and inclusiveness. A joking name like “Putin’s Nightmare” might be great for a group of performers, for example, but would not work for a campus or advocacy group. Again, it is a good idea to get input from current or potential group members once you choose a name, and before you begin printing those flyers and t-shirts!
- The Brand Boy, "LGBT Club Names: 675+ Catchy and Cool Names"[↩][↩][↩][↩][↩][↩][↩][↩]
- Campus Pride, "Naming Your LGBTQ Organization"[↩][↩][↩][↩][↩][↩]
- Mobile Cuisine, "My 401 LGBTQ+ Owned Business Name Ideas That Embrace Diversity"[↩][↩][↩]
- The Asexual Visibility & Education Network Off-A Forum, "Good GSA Club Name"[↩]
- Rules of Playing, "58+ Gay Team Names"[↩]
- NameSnack, "Gay Bar Business Names"[↩][↩]
- Mobile Cuisine, "My 401 LGBTQ+ Owned Businss Name Ideas That Embrace Diversity"[↩]
- Case Western Reserve University, "National Groups
Lesbian Gay Transgender Center”[↩]