Social media, text messaging, and group chats have become an integral part of modern life.
Group chats can help you make plans more easily and stay connected to friends, regardless of where they live or how busy your schedules are.
But chatting isn’t just an easy way to connect. It can also help you develop social skills, expose you to different perspectives, and help you gain new knowledge and creativity.
With nearly half of LGBTQ+ reporting that they live in unwelcoming environments, group chats can also provide a support system and found family.
Whether your group chat is snarky or serious, we have more than 40 LGBTQ+ group chat name ideas below. Scroll past the list for tips to help you create your own options.
The Alphabet Mafia
Everyone Is Gay
A Great Big World reference
Somewhere Over the Rainbow
The Rainbow Room
Here Be Queers
The Pride Room
The Gay Agenda
Lettuce Garlic Bacon Tomato Quesadilla
The Colorful Crew
Girls Like Girls
Hayley Kiyoko reference
Pretty Little Liars
Let's Have a Kiki
Scissor Sisters reference
True Trans Soul Rebels
Against Me! reference
The Drag Kings
La vita nuova
Christine and the Queens reference
Lovely Great Best Terrific
Bend and Snapchat
Legally Blonde reference
This Side of Paradise
Hayley Kiyoko reference
Mean Girls reference
short for “definitions not applicable”
The House of Flowers
The Unicorn Family
King Princess reference
Ariana Grande reference
Kylie Minogue reference
Are We Still Friends?
Tyler, the Creator reference
Hearts to Break
Kim Petras reference
How to Create Your Own Gay/LGBTQ+ Group Chat Names
Keep the following tips in mind to create your own gay/LGBTQ+ group chat names:
- Get inspiration from popular culture. The best group chat names will be quite obviously created by and for an LGBTQ+ group. The community has its own unique slang and cultural references (such as songs and TV shows), which you can use to inspire your team name.
- Get inspiration from your group. Your group chat name doesn’t have to make sense to everyone — just your close circle! If you have any inside jokes or special memories with your friends, use them to inspire your group chat name. This will give you a more unique name if you’d prefer to avoid the usual pop culture references and puns.
- Use your unique sense of humor. Humor really varies depending on the person and the group. Some of us are sarcastic, while others are sensitive and can’t stand crude humor. Choose something that’s funny to you and your group — or be cautious what you choose if you don’t all share the same sense of humor!
- r/lgbt, "What are some 'alternative' names for the LGBTQ+ community?"[↩][↩][↩][↩][↩][↩][↩][↩][↩]
- r/lgbt, "naming my group chat"[↩]
- r/AskReddit, "What is your groupchat's name?"[↩]
- Mobile Cuisine, "My 401 LGBTQ+ Owned Business Name Ideas That Embrace Diversity"[↩][↩][↩]
- r/lgbt, "does anyone have any group chat names?"[↩]
- Cubic Castles Forums, "NAME CHOSEN, Thank you! (LGBT CLAN NAME HELP)"[↩][↩][↩]
- Rules of Playing, "58+ Gay Team Names"[↩][↩][↩][↩]
- POPSUGAR Tech, "107 Best Group-Chat Names"[↩][↩][↩][↩][↩][↩][↩][↩]
- Food Truck Empire, "200+ Awesomely Gay and LGBTQ+ Team Name Ideas You Can Use"[↩][↩][↩]
- Names Kite, "Gay Team Names Ideas Generator"[↩]
- R Marketing Digital, "50 Name Ideas for LGBTQ WhatsApp Groups"[↩][↩]