Originally written as “uu” — literally a double U — the W we know first emerged in printing in the 1700s.
Many of our letters derive from ancient languages; W was a later addition to our alphabet.
Though the letter’s history is comparatively recent, W isn’t one of the least-used letters of the alphabet! It’s six times more common than the least-used letter, Q.
Team names that start with W can be as funny or serious as your team prefers — as long as they begin with the letter W!
We have more than 70 options below, or if you want to create your own team name, we offer some tips below the list.
Windy City Ways
Wildcats & Willows
Waikiki Wave Front
Way Station Travelers
Water Cooler Tales
West Coast Crew
Wishing Well Guild
Wild Blue Yonder
Wall Street Army
Wishing on a Star
Walk in Whimsy
Woodchucks & Weasels
Waste Not Want Not
How to Create a Great Team Name Starting With W
Creating your own team name that starts with W can be a fun activity for your whole group and ensure that you find a perfect, unique name to set your team apart.
Begin brainstorming or narrow down your options using our tips:
- Start by making a list of things that start with W. List anything you can think of, including animals, colors, and flowers. Once you have your list, talk it over with your group and see if there are any collective favorites that your group members share. For example, if everyone in the group loves wombats, you can include that in your name. If no particular favorites stand out, try having each member create a name using the words on the list and then take a vote!
- Does your group have an activity that starts with W? For example, your group may be getting together to fundraise by hosting a car wash. By taking the word “wash” and adding a descriptive word or two to form a short phrase, you can create a great team name.
- Personalize your team name. The name of your city or town, school, church, or any other identifying word or phrase that will make your team name unique can be used in your team name. Perhaps a group member even has a first or last name starting with W. Depending on the size of your group, you may find a way to combine each member’s name to create a one-of-a-kind team name.
- League Athletics, "Team Names"[↩][↩][↩][↩][↩][↩][↩][↩]
- Dr. Odd, "Team Names That Start With W - 2022: Best, Cool, Funny"[↩][↩][↩]
- Custom Ink, "Team Names that Start with 'W'"[↩][↩][↩]