Sand volleyball — also known as beach volleyball — was first played around 1930. Standard volleyball had already been around for about 35 years at that time!
It took more than 60 years for sand volleyball’s reputation and popularity to grow enough to become an Olympic sport, which finally happened in the 1990s.
Today, beach volleyball is more popular than ever. Its events are broadcast in more than 70 countries, and over 150 teams have competed to qualify for the Olympics.
Find more than 50 name options for your sand volleyball team below, or scroll past the list to see our tips for creating your own team names!
The High Tides
The Sand Sharks
The Happy Clams
The Sand Slingers
Sets on the Beach
The Beach Bums
The Sand Dollars
The Beach Hoppers
The Dune Buggies
Heads in the Sand
The Rip Currents
The Conch Shells
The Tide Pools
Sand Volleyball Team Name Generator
How to Create Your Own Sand Volleyball Team Name
Your sand volleyball team might want to create a fresh name on its own rather than choosing one from our list.
Creating your own name allows you to choose something that suits your team perfectly and is sure to be unique from any other team in your league!
Keep the following tips in mind as you brainstorm:
- Think about your team’s qualities. Is your team full of powerful, determined players? Or are you a band of quirky “misfits” who just happen to love volleyball? Think of the traits that make your team unmistakably itself and create a name based on them.
- Consider your interests outside of volleyball. Say everyone on your team also makes music or loves fantasy novels. You can get inspiration from other hobbies and interests, particularly if you share a lot in common with your team.
- Get inspiration from the sea and the beach! Sand-dwelling creatures, seaside weather, and waves can make great inspiration for your team name. Our list includes many examples of this, such as “The Sand Dollars” and “Tidal Waves.”
- Dr. Odd, "Sand Volleyball Team Names"
- Custom Ink, "Funny & Clever Beach Volleyball Team Names