Music has been an integral part of life and a form of expression for centuries.
Recorded music has also been around for well over 100 years, with the first playable sound record invented by Thomas Edison in the 1870s.
Music provides the soundtrack to your life, so whether your taste is pure pop or more eccentric, you should be able to find plenty of inspiration for a music trivia team name.
We have 67 options on our list below, plus tips to help you brainstorm names that perfectly fit your tastes.
Smells Like Team Spirit
reference to the Nirvana song “Smells Like Teen Spirit”
Red Hot Trivia Peppers
a play on Red Hot Chili Peppers
Crank up The Volume
The Watermelon Sugars
reference to the Harry Styles song
Never Gonna Quiz You Up
reference to the Rick Astley song “Never Gonna Give You Up”
reference to the Hanson song “MMMBop”
A Tribe Called Quiz
play on A Tribe Called Quest
a play on Christina Aguilera
Back In Black
reference to the AC/DC song
a reference to Lynyrd Skynyrd
a play on Dizzee Rascal
Jethro Tull Us the Answer
The Tone-Deaf Rangers
All the Single Ladies
reference to the Beyonce song
a play on Beyonce Knowles
a brainy twist on the Oasis song “Champagne Supernova”
Grateful Brain Dead
Quizzin' Jiggy Wit It
reference to the Will Smith song “Gettin’ Jiggy Wit It”
Insane In the Brain
The Abbey Roads
reference to the Beatles album
Billie Jean's Lovers
reference to the Michael Jackson song “Billie Jean”
We Started the Fire
reference to the Billy Joel song “We Didn’t Start the Fire”
a play on Twisted Sister
You Oughta Know
a reference to the Alanis Morissette song
reference to the popular misheard lyric in TLC’s “Waterfalls”
a reference to Frank Sinatra
The Bad Guys
reference to the Billie Eilish song
The Major Keys
The Crying Doves
reference to the Prince song “When Doves Cry”
The B Flats
a play on Iggy Pop
The Great Balls of Fire
reference to the Jerry Lee Lewis song
for an eight-person team; references a piece of music written for eight performers
reference to the song and album of the same name by Dio
reference to the Guns N’ Roses song “Welcome to the Jungle”
reference to songs played at a walking pace or the ABBA song of the same name
Crazy Train Passengers
reference to the Ozzy Osbourne song “Crazy Train”
a play on Mark Ronson and Bruno Mars’ “Uptown Funk”
The Brown Eyed Girls
reference to the Van Morrison song
The Cryin' Hound Dogs
reference to the Elvis Presley song
Have You Ever Seen the Brain
a reference to “Have You Ever Seen the Rain?” by Creedence Clearwater Revival
Team Pop Stars
We Will Rock You
reference to the Queen song
Cassette Tape Collectives
Hip Hop Harmony
reference to the Backstreet Boys
Star Spangled Banter
a play on “The Star Spangled Banner”
Show Choir Showoffs
Music Trivia Team Name Generator
How to Create Your Own Music Trivia Team Names
Keep the following tips in mind to generate your own music trivia team name options:
- Make a list of your team’s favorite songs. A list will give you several options so you can find one that your whole team likes. You might even want to take one song suggestion from each team member when making your list. While not all song titles are easily adaptable, this is usually an easy way to find a title or lyric that works perfectly for your team!
- Get inspiration from your listening history. Look at your music library or favorite streaming app. If your team can’t agree on a list of favorite songs, find options from your recently played list or top songs of the year. Sometimes songs that we consider favorites aren’t the ones we listen to the most, so you could find some surprising options this way!
- Make a pun based on an artist’s name. Our list includes examples like “Beyonce Know-Alls” and “Quizteama Aguilera.” Substitute a trivia-related word into the artist’s name for a funny option that will be recognizable even to teams that don’t share your music taste!
- Use technical music terms. Perhaps your team has eccentric taste, or you’d prefer a less specific name. Turn to musical terminology rather than song titles, lyrics, and artists for inspiration. Terms like “cadence,” “ballad,” “sharp,” and “major” can help you form your team name. You could even name your team after an instrument!
- r/90s, "90s Music Trivia"
- Quiz Coconut, "Top 100 Quiz Team Names"
- Quiz Coconut, "Top 160 Quiz & Trivia Team Names of All Time"
- r/trivia, "Classic Rock Trivia Team Name?"
- Sporcle, "20 Danceworthy 90s Music Trivia Team Names"
- Quora, "I've got a music trivia quiz night this weekend. What are some good team names that are based off rock bands or rock songs?"