Even those who haven’t read Harry Potter have certainly heard of it — after all, it’s the best-selling book series in history!
Originally published in 1998, the first book alone has sold more than 100 million copies.
Casting its spell on readers of all ages, the series (along with its movie adaptations) has inspired theme parks, trivia nights, fan conventions, readathons, and more.
Our list of Harry Potter team names features choices that will work for all types of groups — from trivia teams to group chats to gaming teams.
If you’re interested in creating your own Harry Potter team name, you can also see our tips below the list to get started with brainstorming.
It's TriviOsah, Not TriviosAH
That's So Ravenclaw
Free Dobby Campaign
Snapes on a Plane
The Snowy Owls
Red Smoke Society
Ministry of Magic
Golden Snitch Seekers
League of Aurors
Department of Mysteries
Bertie Bott's Every Flavor Team
Hermione's House Elves
Heirs of Slytherin
The Moody Eyes
Elfish Welfare Association
The Gurg Guild
Big Bad Boggarts
Pretty as a Pixie
Chamber of Seekers
Invisibility Cloak Blokes
Braver Than a Basilisk
Diagon Alley Alliance
The Half-Blood Artist Formerly Known as Prince
Cho Chang's Comets
Turn To Stone
Dumb & Dumbledore
Harry Potter Team Name Generator
How to Create a Great Harry Potter Team/Group Name
With multiple books, films, games, and spin-offs to use for inspiration, there are hundreds of possibilities when creating a Harry Potter team or group name.
Keep the following tips in mind as you brainstorm:
- Get inspiration from Harry Potter’s mythology and terminology — or create your own. Harry Potter takes place in a world of wizards and magic, and a long list of terms was created just for the series. Look over these terms and their meanings and find one that your team loves, or see if you can create a new Harry Potter-inspired phrase (like a magical spell) that is entirely yours.
- Combine several of your favorite Harry Potter words. Choose some of your favorite words and names from the world of Harry Potter and make changes to them or string them together to create a unique name. You can combine several words to create a personalized one-word name or start with Harry Potter-related terms and then add a random descriptor to create a new phrase.
- Use a character name to lead your team. If you have a favorite Harry Potter character, name your team after them. For example, Harry’s Hooligans is one option. The more obscure the name you choose, the more unique your team name will be, so consider choosing a minor character that made a lasting impression on you.
- Hypable, "The 45 Best Harry Potter Trivia team names to win the night"
- Rules of Playing, "121+ Harry Potter Team Names [ Funny Fantasy, Trivia ]"
- Kidadl, "105+ Harry Potter Trivia Team Names That Will Cast a Spell On Your Opponent"