Hackathons vary significantly in focus. You might be be using a specific programming language or coding an application for a particular purpose.
Some events have the simple goal of creating functional software by the end, giving teams full creativity over their project’s features and goals.
Others are purely for fun, like Silly Hacks, a student hackathon focused on “out of the box” ideas and expressing creativity.
Curious when the largest hackathon ever took place? A September 2019 hackathon in Russia had 3,245 participants — the largest ever recorded by Guinness World Records!
Regardless of the event type, hackathons are an excellent opportunity to showcase your coding skills, connect with the local tech community, and learn from/collaborate with others with similar skill sets.
There’s also a competitive and innovative spirit to these events, meaning your team will need an awesome name to help it stand out.
Hackathon team names are typically cool and creative, featuring pop culture references, technological puns, inside jokes, or confident declarations of programming expertise. Our list features a great range of choices.
If you want to create your own unique hackathon team name, we also share some tips below the list.
Java the Bot
Smash Hack Gremlins
Turbo Dynamics Team
Ode to Code
Pings With Things
Bug Byte League
Rise of the Robots
The Mac Hackers
Bug Hunter Squad
Mechanical Bit Souls
Cyber Command Aliens
Need for GIT
What the Hack?
Baby got Byte
Bots with Dots
No Band Limit
Big Bang Coders
Monster Memory Markup
Bright byte Domain
The Still Variables
Kick Bit Fever
Hackathon Team Name Generator
How to Create Cool Hackathon Team Names
Create an awesome hackathon team name using the following tips:
- Use a familiar technology term and tweak it. Familiar technical terms and short phrases can make great team names. To make it unique, simply add a descriptive word or two or create a nickname for your favorite term. Get creative!
- Think about a technology-related character in a book or movie. If you have a favorite movie or book that features anything technology-related, try creating a team name with it. You can use character names, words or phrases, locations, or any interesting facts.
- Choose a team name that describes your team. Hackathon team names don’t always have to be directly related to technology. Instead, you and your team can decide on a word or short phrase that describes you collectively. Some ideas to get you started include your main strengths as a team or something you all have in common.
- Look up obscure technology-related terms. Sometimes it’s fun to create a name from a term that many are unfamiliar with. This adds to the uniqueness of your name and gives others a chance to learn a new term as well!
- Find Good Team Names, "150+ Good Hackathon Team Names"
- Next Gala, "Hackathon Team Names"
- Republic Word, "Hackathon Team Names"