Skating has long been a favorite hobby of many, and the term “roller derby” dates all the way back to the 1920s when it referred to roller skating races.
Today’s roller derby is more than just a simple race! It’s a contact sport in which skaters push and shove each other (within the rules of the game) to gain better positions.
While roller derby has been around for a surprisingly long time, it didn’t reach its peak of public awareness or its current style until the early 2000s.
At that time, roller derby became so popular and well known that Hollywood even made a movie about it — 2009’s “Whip It,” about a roller-derby league in Texas.
Roller Derby team names can be as creative and fun as you like.
Our list features a great range of options and we offer tips below to create your own unique team name.
Belles of the Brawl
Women of Mass Destruction
Black N Blue Belles
Angels of Anger
Derby City Rollergirls
Grand Slam Society
Let It Whip
Eves of Destruction
Lord of the Rink
Rusty Razor Blades
One Hit Wonders
Hit and Run
Rink Rash Renegades
The T-Stop League
Girls of Fury
Roller Derby Team Name Generator
How to Create a Cool Roller Derby Team Name
Create an original roller derby team name using the following tips:
- Think of roller derby terminology for inspiration. You can add a descriptive word or two that’s unrelated to the original roller derby term to create a cool name — for example, “Crossover Queens.”
- Use words and short phrases that remind you of roller derby. Many different terms may apply here. Depending on your team’s vibe and strategy, you can try creative, motivational, or intimidating names.
- Use synonyms to create more options. If you have some decent options but aren’t entirely sold on them, look up your ideas in a thesaurus to see if there are any similar words you enjoy more. Using our example of “Crossover Queens,” you could generate alternatives like “Crossover Consorts,” “Crossover Regents,” and “Crossover Monarchs.”
- Get inspired by your team. Make a list of words that come to mind when you think of your teammates. You can also have each team member submit an option and then put the final team name choice to a vote. After all, the most important thing your team name should do is reflect your team’s style!
- Brandon Gaille, "44 Awesome Roller Derby Team Names"
- Names Frog, "180 Amazing and Cool Roller Derby Team Names Ideas"
- How They Play, "100+ Badass Roller Derby Names and Team Names"
- How They Play, "100+ Badass Roller Derby Names"