Cycling has been around since the 18th century when the modern-day bicycle’s ancestor — a stiff, two-wheeled “celerifere” — became popular in France.
The celerifere was difficult to steer due to its rigid wheels, so more comfortable iterations like the draisienne (which had a steerable front wheel and padded seat) soon followed.
The bicycle that we know today, with its high steerability, pedals, rubber tires, and metal frame, first emerged in the 1880s when the first safety bicycle, the Rover, was invented.
In over 100 years since the introduction of the Rover, learning to ride a bicycle has become a staple of the childhood experience.
In the U.S. alone, more than 45 million people participate in cycling, whether on paved city roads or mountain backroads.
Our cycling team names are for any group that considers themselves cycling enthusiasts — riders of all ages and ability levels.
Choose from our list, use our generator for more options, or see our tips below to create a unique bike team name of your own!
Power Peddling Pixies
Team All Terrain
Granny Gear Group
The Bonk Brigade
The Wheel Deal
Squirrels & Turkeys
Mud Flaps Forever
Running It Out
Slow Ride Gremlins
In the Zone
Gear to Gear
The Spoke Herd
Just Riding Along
In the Saddle
The Roadie Corps
A Constant Cadence
Out on a Jaunt
Jaunts Gone Wrong
Road Captain Tactics
Going À Bloc
Door Prize Posse
The Freehub Ratchets
Brain Bucket Bunch
Tuckers & Rollers
Cycling Team Name Generator
How to Create a Cycling Team Name
The following tips will help you create a cycling team name:
- Consult a list of cycling terms. If you aren’t a professional and are unfamiliar with cycling jargon, look up lists of cycling terms. Or, if you already know a lot about cycling, jot down a few words that come to mind and see whether you can create any team names around them. Your new cycling team name may be hiding within the list! Keep in mind that you may want to change up the words or terms — just use them as a starting point.
- Think of your favorite things. You and your groupmates may have a favorite number, place, song, movie, or famous cyclist. Your name doesn’t have to reference biking directly — take one of your favorite things and turn it into your team name!
- Be as funny or serious as you like. Depending on the purpose of your team, you can gear your name toward a professional-sounding option or an all-out humorous one.
- Get approval from your team. If you’re choosing the name on your own as the team leader rather than taking a vote with the whole group, you should still clear the name with your group before making it official. Be sure to have the go-ahead from all of your team members before embroidering hats or printing t-shirts!
- SportsCorner, "Top 100 Cycling Team Names for Cycling Groups"
- Find Perfect Names, "60+ Cool and Funny Cycling Team Names"
- Team Group Names, "160+ Cycling Team Names"